Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Angels

How and why I found out so early about this tumor.  I lost my youngest sister, 50 yrs of age to breast cancer Sept 30.  While crying and talking to my friend Liz Mendez, her daughter Karen Ortiz reminded me that I was due for my mammogram.  Karen works for Parkwest Imaging, she left a pink pen on the kitchen table with the phone number for Parkwest.  One day later I had my phone in hand and fumbled through my purse and discovered the pen.  I scheduled my mammogram.  When filling out the history for the routine exam I had to enter the info about my sis.  I remember thinking about my risk for breast cancer changed.(slightly I thought).

Mammo had one small area of density that was suspicious and required a diagnositic mammogram, that showed that the density indeed was present and I had to have an ultrasound.  This is when everything changed for me.

The ultrasound tec. came out and said "do you remember me?"  She is the daughter of a nursing colleague and friend that I knew since she was a small child, Della Armijo.  Whild performing the ultrasound, we caught up on family and enjoyed our conversation, she excused herself and said she would talk to the radiologist and be right back.

Upon returning, Della informed me that I needed to have an ultrasound guided biopsy, she would schedule this and also assist Dr. Bartaldo.  Tissue sample were extracted from the tiny tumor 4mm by 5 mm, until the tumor disappeared (from ultrasound report) and sent to Dr. Stuart Marsh, Pathologist and friend at Parkview Hospital.

So, today I would like to thank God for sending me four Angels, Karen Ortiz, Della Armijo, Dr. Bartaldo, and Dr. Marsh. 

I shared this story with my surgeon Dr. Joyce Moore, who said she believes that God has been with me to find this sooo early and that God has plans for me.  I too believe this, and will be forever grateful for my four Angels.

Surgery will be December 9, Skyridge Med Center, lumpectomy with Sentinal biopsy followed by radiation.  Just like Stu (Dr. Marsh) said :-)

Feeling strong and hopeful, EvaLou

No comments:

Post a Comment